The most important thing to remember here is that when you receive your Scotch Fillet, leave it in the fridge for at least 12 days before you freeze or use it. Don’t worry, I leave mine for at least two to three weeks and, boy, am I alive and kicking! This recipe ensures that you get your meat early! I have to side with the butchers at this time of the year. There’s method to my madness in this recipe, and that is not to leave your Pesach meat delivery to the last minute.
- 5 pound Rib Eye Roast (Scotch Fillet)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) baby potatoes
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- oil – for roasting potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Manischewitz Potato Starch or otherpotato flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup non-dairy creamer
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish (or 1 and 1/2 tablespoons bottled, such as Manischewitz Horseradish, drained)
Prepare the Roast
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place the meat on a roasting rack in a roasting pan, cover in the oil and rub all over with the crushed peppercorns so that it’s evenly covered.
- Roast the meat in the oven, uncovered, for one hour and 15 minutes (for every extra pound of meat, increase the cooking time by 15–20 minutes). If you don’t have a roasting rack in your roasting pan, turn the roast over halfway through cooking.
Prepare the Rosemary Baby Potatoes
- Place the potatoes (skin on or off) in a roasting bag with the rosemary and a few glugs of oil. Place on the side of the roasting pan with the meat when there is 1 hour of cooking time remaining.
- When done, remove the meat from the oven, cover in foil and leave to stand for 15 minutes while you make the horseradish cream. The horseradish cream can be made the day before and warmed up when needed.
Prepare the Horseradish Cream
- Combine the sugar, potato flour, water, non-dairy creamer and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Pour the mixture in a saucepan and heat through, whisking all the while, until it starts to thicken. Remove from the heat, add the horseradish and stir.
- Serve with the meat and rosemary potatoes.